Thursday, May 17, 2007

Just Call on Your Brother

I took my morning dose of chemo and then proceeded to my brother’s church in Santa Cruz. I experienced a spiritual high from the chemo and the church experience. I excused myself and stepped outside to face the sun in a garden. My brother joined me a few minutes later then inquired, “Doug, are you ok?”

“I am fine David.” Just wanted to sit in the sun this feels sooooooooo good.
My chemo is wearing off and I am coming back to planet earth."

David then sat next to me, put his head on my shoulder and began to quietly sob.

“I am so glad you did not die” he whispered in my ear.

We both were facing this disease for months of treatments. This was the first time my brother David expressed his fear about my near death experience of cancer.

I replied, “David, I can’t feel sadness right now. All I can do is to be strong and fight this cancer each day. Once I am done with the battle and I win and I am cancer free THEN I can feel the other emotions.”

It takes real courage for me feel all the emotions. I stuffed the sadness and anger and dispair into a box so I could fight the battle. Feelings continue to flow and I experience them and then release them. It seems a bit easier as time passes. Healing is a slow process.

Today my brother David and I are very close. I very blessed to have him in my life.

The song "Lean on Me" says it all.

Some times in our lives,
we all have pain, we all have sorrow.
But, if we are wise, we know that there's always tomorrow.

[Chorus:]
Lean on me, when your not strong, and I'll be your friend,
I'll help you carry on. For it won't be long, 'till I'm gonna need
somebody to lean on.

Please, swallow your pride, if I have
made, you need to borrow. For no one can feel those of your
needs, that you won't let show.

You just call on your brother when you need a hand, we all
need somebody to lean on. I just might have a problem that
you'll understand, we all need some body to lean on.

[Chorus]

You just call on your brother, when you need a hand, we all
need somebody to lean on. I just might have a problem that
you'll understand. We all need someone to lean on

If, there is a load, that you have to bear, that you can't carry,
I'm right up the road, I'll share your load, if you just call me.

Call me

1 comment:

Corn Dog said...

I used to get high off the chemo too but when I asked the other women about it that were using the same protocol, they denied the effect.