Tuesday, September 9, 2008

WHY ME? Survivor Guilt

Why do I get to live on and others die? October 2006 two close friends were killed instantly in automobile accidents. Both were my same age. Today another friend is dying of cancer in hospice. I feel lucky to escape the grim reaper but I question why has my life spared? What am I doing with my life and talent right now? Why me Lord? What should I do with my new lease on life?

I remember when I finished surgery, chemo and radiation treatments in 2004 I felt sooooo lucky to be alive. I was musing this same question….What to do with my life now that I successfully fought cancer?

I asked my good friend Lisa. “ Should I join the peace corps and go help somebody on the other side of the world?”

Lisa thought for a moment, then replied, “Doug how about just making a difference in peoples lives here in Oakland? You don’t have to join the peace corps.”

What a good idea. How about writing a book about my cancer experience and helping other people who have to either prep for their first colonoscopy of recover from treatments. As I reflect upon this question, I get more answers.
1. Be generous to others and yourself.
2. Enjoy each moment of life and urge others to do the same.
3. Cook meals for friends
4. Play lots of music
I remember a few years ago I had the pleasure of hearing Jimmy Carter speak. I find his life to be very inspirational. I remember to this day one quote from his talk. He said that he was standing on the shoulders of his father, who is standing on the shoulders of his father and so on. Because we have this foundation we can reach much higher than the previous generation.

So to answer the original question, Why Me? Just because. “Nothing personal. Your name just happened to come up.”

No comments: