Friday, November 9, 2007

No Lifeguard on Duty

7:30AM. Oakland YMCA.

I squat in a half filled Jacuzzi. Lukewarm water. Warming tight muscles. Sitting in a tiled tub. Trying to relax before I go to work.

“Juan’s home now.” Leroy announced. He was heading to the steam room.

“I thought he was still in the hospital.” I answered.

“Talked with him last night after dinner. He’s out.” Leroy replied.

“The cancer is in his liver now. He has been in Kaiser for a month.” I blurt out loud to no one in particular. Everyone bows their heads as if in prayer.

Three men look at me with sad eyes and say nothing. One disappears into the steam room. Another picks up his shaving kit and returns to his locker. The third man stares at the water coming into the Jacuzzi trying to relax.

The sign over our heads said, “No lifeguard on duty” in four languages.

No comments: