Thursday, November 1, 2007

Imagine Fighting Cancer

Imagine fighting cancer with guided imagery. Imagine a soothing voice and relaxing music to program your brain to prepare for surgery. Imagine shrinking and killing cancer cells. Imagine healing quickly after surgery and chemotherapy treatments.

After my colon cancer diagnosis in October 2003, I called my friend Trish to get the name of the guided imagery and affirmations CD that she reported really helped her husband recover from open-heart surgery. She gave me the name of Belleruth Naparstek.

I ordered a Successful Surgery CD from Health Journeys. I played the CD several times each day to prepare me for my abdominal resection surgery. I relaxed in my bed and played the CD and drifted off to Belleruth’s voice. The guided imagery helped me reduce my anxiety of surgery.

Years later, I attended a Belleruth Naparstek seminar for cancer patients and health professionals and she reported that this guided imagery was found to be highly effective in double blind, placebo-controlled research. She reported that Successful Surgery creates the context for a successful, safe and comfortable surgery. The CD has suggestions to reduce bleeding and speed up mending with minimal discomfort. A separate music track can be played in the operating room and affirmations focus on the recovery period.

My friend Trish was right. Guided imagery and affirmations are very helpful.

No comments: