Friday, June 29, 2007

My Hiking Buddy

“Would you like to go for a hike after breakfast? I asked Lisa and Nigel sipping coffee on the deck next to the restaurant.

“Maybe.” Nigel replied.

“I’m getting a massage at 9.” Lisa noted looking at her schedule for the day.

“How was yoga class this morning?” I asked the dynamic duo.

“Great.” They both replied in unison. Lisa and Nigel were often joined at the hip.

The waiter named Sky brought our breakfast. We visit this old hippie resort on an annual basis. Massage and soaking in hot tubs and nude sunbathing are the norm. There are workshops on Tantra Sex and some new therapy unknown to me.

“After breakfast I am going to take my chemo pills and then go for a hike.” I announced.

“Really. Doug do you normally hike after your morning chemo treatments?” Nigel asked. He is a college professor with an inquiring mind.

“Never.” I reported. “Nigel, I want you with me so I don’t get lost.”

“Yes, I will be there by your side.” Nigel promised.

The buddy system has worked for me over the years. I had a buddy at summer camp when I was 11. I have a buddy when I scuba dive and when I hike. I have a buddy with me on any adventure. Why not a buddy for a chemo treatment? I took Nigel on a rafting trip on my 49th birthday and he took me cross country skiing in the mountains.

Nigel and I put on sunscreen, hiking shorts, hiking shoes and a sun hat. I took my dose and started walking up the trail. This was a Timothy Leary hike. A steady slow climb through the trees.

I watched my feet to be sure I did not trip on an exposed root but I was tripping. The forest looked electric. Light sparkled through the canopy of leaves. Maybe we walked one mile.

“How ya doing Doug? Everything OK?” Nigel inquired. He was watching me closely.

“Great. This is as far as I can go. Let’s head back.” I requested.

"Nigel." I asked.

"What" he replied looking at me.

"Are there wild turkeys in this forest or am I just seeing things?" I asked.

"Yes Doug a gaggle of turkeys have been following us on this hike." Nigel observed.

"Good because I thought the chemo was just creating that vision." I shared.

The return trip was casual. Doing my chemo treatments in that kind of environment was wonderful since I was pampering myself. Massage, sun bathing, hot pools, visiting with friends, falling asleep to the sound of a babbling stream and frogs singing in the night.

This was really a good trip.

No comments: