Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I've nothin' to do

I opened my eyes and saw my brother napping in the chair in the corner of my hospital room. This was day two after my abdominal resection.

My hair was soaked with sweat. Pain meds worked great but I had wild dreams last night. I had no idea what kind of day it was outside the hospital. Food did not appeal to me. A young doctor making his rounds entered my room.

“Good Morning Mr. Beckstein, what are you reading?” he inquired.

“Gods and Demons.” I replied with a very dry mouth then I took a sip of water through a straw. Had to look at my bed to see what book was there.

The doctor passed my brother sprawled in the chair and walked over to the window and asked, “Is the book any good?"

"I don't know. I can't read much at all on this pain killer. How is the view outside my window?" I asked.

"I can see the highway and the roof of this hospital." He commented.
"Is that an iPOD?" The doctor asked.

"Sixty Gigs" I said proudly.

"Cool. I want one." He said inspecting the device closely.

The doctor sat on my bed, lifted the sheet covering my incision and inspected the tubes connected to my body. I was very relaxed due to his engaging conversation. I had a nine inch incision in my belly with staples to hold me together.

“You don’t need this thing anymore” he reported staring at my drainage tube.

He put one hand on my belly and the other hand grabbed a tube that was draining my wound. Suddenly with one giant jank he pulled the tube out of my body, stood up, wrapped the tubing and collection pouch in a ball, tossed the mess into the hazardous medical waste garbage can and returned to my bedside.

“You are doing very well. Healing right on schedule." The doctor reassured me as he put a band aid on my belly.” He left the room quickly.

My brother woke up and asked, “Who was that guy?"

“I think it was a doctor.” I said. Song lyrics entered my brain.

"David, do you remember who is the artist who sang this song?"

Countin' flowers on the wall, that don't bother me at all
Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of fifty-one
Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo
Now don't tell me
I've nothin' to do

"Statler Brothers" he replied as he read yesterdays newspaper.

1 comment:

Corn Dog said...

I think he was an asshole. My drainage tube hole spot still hurts. How about yours?