Monday, June 4, 2007

Song for Sally

We were on the Big Island of Hawaii. This was Sally’s last visit. Sally had been fighting breast cancer for many years. Sally would die soon. We didn’t talk about it. We just packed our bags and took a trip with Sally to the Big Island for her last visit to Hawaii.

Our hotel was in Kona known for great beaches and terrific sunsets. Each night Sally would eat something healthy and sit and listen to the ocean surf from her hotel room. Sally seemed content. She had her family and friends with her on vacation.

One day Sally invited a group of us to join her on an adventure to see the Waipi’o Valley. I drove Sally and her daughter and other women friends of Sally in our rental car. We all had fun going to the lush valley and exploring new sights. That evening we started our return trip back to Kona.

“Doug would you create a song for me? Will you change the lyrics and make it funny?” Sally asked me.

"Yes I will." I promised Sally.

"Will you do it now?" she asked.

You need a little background here. I grew up in a musical family. I learned to change the lyrics of traditional songs for a desired effect... humor.

Sally had heard that my friend Victor and I had an evening of song lyric modification. We made fun of our own diseases and the diseases bothering our wives and all had a big laugh. Sally heard about this “talent” that I had and was requesting a song in the car as I drove us all back to Kona.

“Sally” I said. “I have never changed song lyrics for CANCER. All the other diseases were easy. Victor and I created songs for heart attacks, ringing in the ears, pollips and Hep C. Sally if I start a song here in the car we all have to just go for it 100 percent. If we don’t laugh at this song and this cancer disease we might still feel kinda bad” I warned her.

“Doug, I have confidence in your skill. I know you will do just fine. “ Sally tried to assure me.

I drove the rental car and thought for about ten minutes. Then I asked everyone in the car to be quiet for a moment and to join me in a song for Sally. I started out singing loudly to rally the troops,

I feel pretty with one titty
I feel pretty and witty and bright
And I pity any girl who isn’t me tonight.

I feel charming, oh so charming
Its alarming how charming I feel
And so pretty that I can hardly believe I’m real

(Then Sally’s daughter peeks her head from the back seat to the front of the car an inch from my rear view mirror and sings with all of her heart)

See the pretty titty in the mirror there.

(And the entire rental car fills with a chorus of singers to finish the song as loud as we could sing)

What titty where?
Who can that attractive girl be?
Such a pretty face, such a pretty dress, such a pretty smile
Such a pretty me

I feel stunning and entrancing
I feel like running and dancing for joy
For I’m loved by a pretty wonderful boy!

Feel free to sing this song and share it with others!

No comments: