Thursday, June 28, 2007

Dreaming of My Friend Rona Wells

I tried one chemo treatment at the Chabot Space Center located in the Oakland Hills. I ate dinner with my roommates then drove to the Chabot Space Center, parked my car, bought a ticket and found a water fountain. I swallowed my one Xeloda pill then sat in the planetarium to wait for the effects.

My evening chemo dose was like a toke of pot or being mildly drunk. Same buzz to me. A star show at a planetarium was a great place to do a chemo treatment. My dose was mild and I could predict side effects.

I felt the gentle rush of the chemo. My body relaxed as the lights dimmed in the planetarium. Stars filled the dome. I slouched in the chair and stared at the ceiling. I listened to a smooth voice telling me a story about the night sky.

The smooth voice asked the audience to please exit the theatre. We were invited to the roof to look at the stars through telescopes. I floated for four hours as my chemo went to work. I killed cancer cells and was entertained at the same time. Cool.

Some chemo experiences were transformational for me. Sometimes my spirit left my body and then came back. As I looked at the night sky through a telescope I felt my spirit merging with other spirits. I had a sense of deep peace. Many chemo treatments were like dying then coming back to life.

My good friend's mom, Rona Wells had just died from cancer. She was given six months to live by her doctors. She lived four years. I had a few chances to talk with her before she died. I remember eating lamb chops in her home when I was not sure what I could eat because of chemo and nausia. Rona's kitchen was filled with her family and one guest, me. That was the last time I saw Rona.

As I looked at the stars Chabot Space Center I felt her spiritual presence. Rona was at peace and I felt her peace. This experience prepared me for her memorial service the following day. Her family and friends told a stories how she inspired them as she fought cancer. I said nothing at the service just held my friends as they wept in my arms. I will never forget her...

Stars shining bright above you
night breezes seem to whisper

I love you
Birds singin' in the sycamore tree

Dream a little dream of me.
Say "nighty night" and kiss me

just hold me tight and tell me
you'll miss me.

While I'm alone and blue as can be
Dream a little dream of me.

No comments: