Monday, December 31, 2007

April 13, 2004 Radiation Therapy Completed

Email diary sent to friends:

I am done with radiation therapy. Began 5 weeks ago. Twenty five treatments. Purpose to kill cancer cells that were left behind from surgery. My treatment has been external x-rays focused around my colon where surgery was done in November 2003. My radiation treatment plus chemo treatment should yield a 90% cure of no recurrence of colon cancer in the next 5 years.

My medical treatment has been excellent. I start my next round of chemo on April 20th. I have 14 days of pill form (Xeloda) and weekly IV of Oxaliplatin. I am not sure when my chemo will be done.

I have been able to work about 5 hours a day during my chemo and radiation. Only side effect has been diarrhea. Given the list of the possible side-effects I feel lucky that my body has been able to spring back to health thru the treatments. I am getting lots of sleep, exercise at the YMCA, eat well, and my recovery is going very well.

I know I am surrounded by angels thru all this and feel blessed for all the support of family and friends. Your prayers, emails, phone calls and support have been vital to my progress in fighting this disease.

No comments: