Thursday, June 26, 2008

A Good Stick for a Blood Test

As a colon cancer patient, you will be getting many blood tests. I recommend you find the most experienced staff to take your blood. Experienced patients call it a “good stick.” Remember the staff who do their job well and thank them. You will want to find them next time you need a blood test.

I kept a file copy of the requested lab tests and make sure the results are sent to all the doctors that need to know the results. File folders track my progress and organize my papers. This helps me with billing and taxes time.

As the technician is drawing blood, review what lab tests are going to be conducted on your blood and find out when the results will go to your doctors. An exceptional patient is proactive with your health care.

If the lab technician is inexperienced they will keep trying to find a vein and end up bruising your arm. This is called a bad stick. Not a big deal if you just need a blood test for routine lab work and you can go home and calm down.

Unfortunately for me I got a bad stick while getting ready for my abdominal resection surgery. I had an inexperienced nursing student made numerous attempts at trying to find a vein and miss. I got more stressed from this treatment. I felt like a pincushion. She gave up on one arm, then my wife fainted. I asked for my brother to enter the prep area and help calm me down. Finally she got an IV started in my other arm.

I found it hard to relax and let go of my worries about surgery with a bad stick. I was relieved to run the Belleruth Naparstek Imagery Before Surgery recording in my head and relax before surgery.

No comments: