Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Purple Onion

My purple onion began sprouting in my kitchen on my 57th birthday. It was a quiet affair. A tiny sprout pierced the paper-thin skin of the purple onion and peeked out of the darkness. The purple onion had begun its journey.

The next day the purple onion whispered, "Please sir, it is too dark for me to grow here. Can I move closer to the window? I need more light to live."

I considered this request to be reasonable indeed. I made the move. "Thanks!" the purple onion whispered.

Two weeks passed. Now the purple onion has several green shoots each ten inches long. They are green and strong. The purple onion is very happy!

I look closer at the purple onion's body. It is less plump. The green shoots are drawing energy from the inner source deep inside the purple onion. Energy for growth.

The purple onion inspires me each day to draw upon the power deep inside of me to reach out into the world.

"Take a risk!" the purple onion whispers.

The color of the purple onion represents our own majesty. There is magic in the purple onion. And there are layers. Layers of growth, just like the layers that reflect the many years each of us have been on this planet.

"Go deeper! Discover more layers,"
the purple onion whispers.

More history. More memories. More layers of power to draw upon to send to your shoots toward the sun.

I knew the purple onion was never alone. Not really. It was packed with all the power to complete this journey. Don't worry about the purple onion. All is well.

--Douglas Beckstein

No comments: