Tuesday, September 25, 2007

These boots are made for walking

I laced up my new hiking boots as my friends watched me and then shook their heads. Two weeks before departure for Kauai, I finally bought hiking boots.

“How do your new boots feel?” Lior asked as she waited patiently with our hiking team. I jammed a water bottle in my pack and locked my car.

“Great. I got my poles too.” I replied proudly.

Lior and Laura inspected my hiking poles and then they gave advice on how to make pole adjustments for our hike. I missed the hiking pole workshop for some reason. They both filled me in on what they learned so far on how to use hiking poles. I am wobbly on steep trails so these poles are going to help me.

Off we go on our training hike in the Oakland hills. The sun will set soon so we better get moving. My boots fit perfectly. Better support for my ankles than my old pair of boots.

These boots are made for hiking and that’s just what I’ll do.
One of these days these boots are going to walk all over Kauai.
Ready boots?
Start walking.


On October 5, 2007 thirty hikers flew to Kauai and hiked the Wiamea Canyon. Our boots were made for walking. We raised $400,000 for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. This means that our team has been able to fund 3 research grants and provided financial aid to 52 families!

After four months of training with Hike for Discovery I was able to complete an eight hour hike in the Wiamea Canyon in the on narrow slippery slopes. Probably the hardest hike of my entire life. I believe I no longer have a fear of heights!

Go Team!

No comments: