Monday, July 16, 2007

Poopy Pants

Yesterday, I enjoyed a wonderful Sunday brunch with Barbara. We planned our day and decided to attend an outdoor theater event in Berkeley.

We both made numerous trips back and forth from the house to the car loading our provisions for a picnic: sunscreen, water, picnic lunch, ice chest, etc. At one point I pooped in my pants then off to the bathroom. As I sat on the john I planned my next steps.

"Barbara, could you bring my suitcase back in the house please?" I yelled.

She came down the hall and asked. "Sure, I can get it. What's going on?"

"I pooped in my pants and I need some anti-diarrhea pills" I answered.

"I am sorry. How many pills do you need?" She inquired.

"Two." I answered back. "Will you help me with this mess?"

Barbara showed me the cleaning supplies in her bathroom and then opened the pill blister pack then brought me a glass of water.

"Do you want to step into the shower and clean yourself?" Barbara posed as she handed me a glass of water and two pills to swallow.

"Thanks" I replied feeling very supported. I took my medicine as Barbara handed me a towel.

"Doug you aren't the only one who poops in their pants" Barbara announced. "I read your blog about the bowel control issues and I just want you to know that it happens to me too. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I have bowel control issues too. Changes in routine effects me too. You need to talk about it sweetie. This is normal."

"Thanks for reminding me. I forgot again that I'm not the only one who has poopy pants." I responded as I began to clean the toilet and rinse my underwear in the sink.

It has been three years now since the doctor removed half my colon. My body has healed but now I do not have the reservoir to hold stool. I don't get the message that I have to poop until the last minute so I still poop in my pants and still feel a bit ashamed.

"Did I pack and second pair of underwear in my suitcase?" I asked.

"No, I don't see any" Barbara answered.

I stepped into the shower, changed my attitude and washed away that poopy pants problem. I was going on a picnic with Barbara it is time to have fun. We had a great time in the park seeing a theatre production with friends.

Later that evening Barbara returned to Santa Cruz but required three stops to use the restroom on the way home. Same problem as I had in the morning. Barbara determined that it was the yummy Sunday brunch was the cause.

I am so glad I am able to talk about this when it happens. I feel so accepted by Barbara. I am a lucky guy to have a lady in my life who is so understanding!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I have comments. I don't think you explained the part for any of us, how this happens. Example, that I have IBS...constipation to diareha routinely. With changes in routine, it effects going. You also did not explain anything about that you are missing parts of your colon that hold those quick drops to your colon from your large intestines with liquid.
What I heard is that we are unusual, but I know there are several causes (human defects) that put us in these situations. I think by "exposing" another person with this problem only makes it sound like you don't understand, this is human, sweetie, and not freaky. People just don't like to talk about it, or have other people share this information with others about them. How does this relate to the cancer story?

semicolon said...

Hello Barbara,
I did a re-write. What do you think? Should I add more detail or does this address your feedback. Thanks for your specific comments. I really appreciate it.
doug

Unknown said...

Much better! I know the explainations help me feel better, because it explains why this is not so abnormal. We all have problems, the human qualities tie us all together.
Specifically it was right before I left your apartment and three stops on the way home, that determined that it was breakfast. This is only a detail, not specific to the story so use your author skills and decide if you want it to change.
Happy to put my two cents, don't want to be critical. Thanks for taking my suggestions to heart and adding your feelings for me. xoxo

Corn Dog said...

Good story. Don't mind me. I'm just here visiting, not looking at you two blowing kisses at each other.

semicolon said...

Hi Corndog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. You have years of dialog experience. how does this look to you?
Doug

semicolon said...

Hi Corndog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. You have years of dialog experience. how does this look to you?
Doug

Corn Dog said...

It looks good to me! Sounds natural. Do I have to answer twice here to compensate for whatever weirdness you are trying out?